Last Updated: 2009-02-02
- This document sets out the policies of Universal Utility Supply Co. regarding the protection of the rights of persons to privacy. Its purpose is to explain to contacts and all others who deal with Universal Utility Supply Co. what types of personal information Universal Utility Supply Co. collects and how that information is used.
- This policy reflects no commitment by, nor is it binding upon any party or parties other than Universal Utility Supply Co.
- At times, Universal Utility Supply Co. collects certain personal information about people with whom it deals, either in their personal capacities or as representatives of client institutions, suppliers or other businesses. Such people are referred to in this policy as “Universal Utility Supply Co. contacts” or simply as “contacts”.
- Universal Utility Supply Co. collects identifiable personal data as well as non-identifiable personal information. Items of identifiable personal information, such as names and contact details, are collected and used as a matter of course in Universal Utility Supply Co. daily work. Often a person’s identifiable personal information includes the role or roles the person plays on behalf of his or her employer in the employer’s business relationship with Universal Utility Supply Co.
- Universal Utility Supply Co. respects the privacy of the individual and undertakes to protect the confidentiality of personal information about contacts that is supplied in the course of business relationships with Universal Utility Supply Co. Universal Utility Supply Co. undertakes to use personal information solely for the purposes described above, and will not otherwise, unless legally obliged to do so, provide personal information to third parties.
- Universal Utility Supply Co. protects your personal information with industry standard security measures. In addition to normal precautions such as physical security and software/hardwarefirewalls, we have and adhere to strict internal security policies.
RESERVATION OF RIGHTS
- Universal Utility Supply Co. reserves the right to disclose personal information in its possession where it is required to do so by law or to exercise its legal rights or to defend itself against legal claims.
COLLECTION OF PERSONAL DATA
- Universal Utility Supply Co. collects personal data about contacts. Contacts include those employees of client institutions with whom Universal Utility Supply Co. will deal in the normal course of business. This information is collected when institutions first procure services from, or enter into a service agreement with Universal Utility Supply Co., when they instruct Universal Utility Supply Co., as their provider or Agent, to provide services or undertake service procurement or other actions on their behalf. Contacts also include persons within supplier and other organizations with which Universal Utility Supply Co. has a business relationship – i.e. persons that suppliers, including self-employed consultants and contractors, or other organizations such as government departments or statutory bodies have appointed to deal with Universal Utility Supply Co.
- Universal Utility Supply Co. does not collect personal information about end users of client institution’s networks.
USE OF PERSONAL DATA
- Universal Utility Supply Co. uses personal information to ensure effective business communications with contact persons and/or client institutions, suppliers and other organizations with which Universal Utility Supply Co. has dealings.
- In its capacity as the agent of client institutions, Universal Utility Supply Co. provides personal information about contact persons of client institutions to suppliers, where the supplier needs to use this information to communicate directly with the client institution. Similarly, Universal Utility Supply Co. provides contact details of suppliers’ personnel to client institutions where this is needed for the furtherance of the business relationship.
- Universal Utility Supply Co. may collect other types of anonymous data from website users through the use of “cookies,” which are text files that a website places on the hard drive of your computer indicating what pages you visited. When you return to the website, your browser sends that information back to the site. Universal Utility Supply Co. may use the information provided by cookies to analyze trends, administer the site, or for research and marketing purposes.